“Sue was amazing to work with, she understood the style and feel we wanted from our renovation and provided some great ideas and options for consideration to make it our own. Her knowledge of putting color and textures together was fantastic. Sue is reliable and prompt in providing information and/or her follow-up. We were never left guessing where we were at. We would highly recommend Sue – she is very easy to work with.” client South Surrey, BC
SUE WOMERSLEY –
designer of interiors and custom cabinetry
owner Decorata Design Creative
“With over thirty years in design related profession, I believe I bring multi-faceted experience, vast knowledge, client relations skills, and professional integrity to this role.
I have both creative skills, as well as practical skills, required for design. What good is design if it cannot be implemented?
I have a great interest in the psychological impact of person’s surroundings. I do believe in the positive effect loving your surroundings will have, and the reverse to also be true. I want to lead you to love your surroundings, which is unique to each person as to what that is.
The subjective, intangible vision and imagination to achieving a space that is pleasing, flows and sings in the eyes of the client. How the room will feel, how the client will experience the space. Having the insight as to what a client will love. The objective, tangible skills of organization, planning, budgeting and productivity to implement a project. Understanding The Process to achieve the goal.
I love to focus on the kitchen – with so many components and considerations in one space – like a giant jigsaw – use of space, finishes – and how to make it best suit the people who will enjoy it. I am pleased to be working with a locally made cabinetry millwork manufacturer.
I have the fortitude to see a project through from concept to completion, and the ability to problem solve issues that arise. I excel at client relations, with effort and dedication, and go the extra mile for them, and am proud that I have many happy clients. I enjoy and maintain positive relationships with my team and collaborators, such as suppliers, installers and other professionals.” Sue Womersley
Owning her own business since 1998, it evolved from a popular home accessory boutique Haven Home located in a heritage community, to decorating with custom draperies and custom furniture, as well colour consulting, growing to a boutique Design + Build company, managing up to $150,000 full service renovations for clients.
Focusing on sharing her knowledge and extensive experience as a resource to clients, Design Consulting and Kitchen Design are now key to the business
Sue enjoys creating a space for clients to love and the joy that it brings them. Sue has always been passionate about decorating, has over 200 design books and has a Certificate with honours in Residential Interior Decorating and Design as well a Certificate in Marketing and Sales.
Sue regularly attends design related seminars for Professional development including heritage conservation, architecture, classical feng shui, as well as industry tradeshows and exhibits, most recently Design Summits in Palm Springs and Las Vegas .
A born and raised West Coast girl, Sue is inspired by the local natural beauty and city life style, as well as her travels through Europe and North Africa. Extensive travel through England/Scotland (11-12x), France (4x), Italy (4x), Switzerland (3x) and been to Greece, Austria, Hungary, Morocco, Egypt and through all of these travels and tours of castles, stately homes, historic building, museums as well as modern buildings, has shaped and developed a deep appreciation and understanding of proportion, use of light, sight-lines, contrast, pattern that can only be understood viscerally through experience – as well as the library of books and decades of international design magazine reading gave Sue great knowledge.
A love of textiles was passed down from her Scottish Grandma who was a Tailoress and an appreciation of embroidered details from her English Grandma. Renovated four of her own homes, Sue lives with her family in White Rock.
TESTIMONIALS + PRAISE
“At Benchmark Painting we strive for happy clients, and that’s why we only work with and recommend the best in our industry. We recently recommended interior decorator Sue Womersley of Decorata Design to our client, who then called us to say how happy she is with Sue’s work, because she took the stress out of the renovation. A stress-free renovation? That’s when you know you’re working with the best.” quote Benchmark Painting
client – Surrey, BC via Benchmark Painting
“I was impressed by the quality of service by Sue Womersley of Decorata. Within two weeks after my consultation for new floors, new paint colors and high baseboards, the entire project was complete. Sue Womersley is hardworking, trustworthy and worked within my budget. She completely made the renovation process stress free and she even thought of all the little things like the placement of felt pads under my sofa, chairs and table so the new floors would not get scratched. I’m so happy with my place now that Sue Womersley worked her magic. I will 100% use her service in the future.”
client – South Surrey, BC.
“Sue Womersley is both professional and approachable. She had the ability to listen and hear our needs and wants. She offered excellent and knowledgeable ideas and really had the big picture vision to create something that not only fits our personalities and lifestyle, but our budget as well. We love coming home! She offers a wide range of expertise and has both the creativity and vision as well as the practical and functional side to implement it. We had complete trust in her. We left her our keys, moved our furniture to the garage and came back to a brand new home! Sue proposed a reasonable budget and stuck to it. She offered us desirable choices in order to fit within the budget we had. She hired and managed quality tradespeople who were reliable and had our project done on time. The creativity, attention to detail and flow throughout the house was excellent. We would not hesitate to highly recommend Sue from small projects to larger ones. We knocked down walls, filled in doorways, created new pathways and went from a 70’s rancher to an incredible, desirable space for our family to live in.”
client – Langley, BC
“I absolutely love it!!!!! Am beyond ecstatic!! Thank you so much for making our dream home a reality!”
client – South Surrey, BC
(Sue with trusty hound and loyal companion of twelve years, Chester the longhaired dachshund)
“We hired Sue Womersley to do a substantial renovation on our home and are thrilled with the results! Sue had great ideas and visions and implemented them on time and on budget. They work with the trades organizing, scheduling and overseeing to make sure all runs smoothly. The trades they use are of top quality so the end result is beautiful. We would highly recommend Sue!”
client – South Surrey, BC
“I have used Sue on two different occasions. She assisted me with choosing window coverings for our home. She helped me select custom blinds for kitchen and bedrooms to deal with the heat and sunlight from a western exposure, and arranged beautiful custom draperies for some large windows in the same home. I was very happy with her service. She also recently helped me with the renovation of a small condo kitchen, and partial renovation of a bathroom. I ended up with a much more functional layout, and lovely new cupboards that took advantage of all the available space I had to work with. Sue has excellent taste, extensive knowledge and connections with great tradespeople. She will work with you to help you achieve a beautiful, personalized look for your home. You won’t be disappointed.”
client Steveston, BC
(Sue is in the car a lot – to project sites, client meetings or sourcing with suppliers)
(Sue and her Mum at the 30 year anniversary U2 Joshua Tree tour –
having been to the original. Nothing to do with design.)
EXPERIENCE / TIMELINE – LONG VERSION
- I loved colour growing up – I had a shoebox full of paint chip samples long before big box shopping existed and you only had your little, local family run paint shoppe. In many ways I have been consulting on colour most of my life – from a very young age selecting fabrics and wools for my talented Mum to knit and sew clothing for us growing up, to choosing and installing wallpapers and frequently rearranging the living room furniture as a teen in our family home which progressed to helping all of my friends decorate first apartments.
- I was reading decorating magazines in my mid-teens, (was up to about 10 magazine subscriptions per month at one point pre internet), and have a huge collection of design books started in my 20s that I have lost count of at over 200.
- My very first full time job out of college was in the Visual Presentation department at Eaton’s, and to this day was one of my favourite jobs. Window display, seasonal decor – loved it all. During College I worked at a lovely gift store called Dower Cottage – with beautiful table linens, tableware, and here also I did much of the visual presentation.
- My first condo (and my first renovation of many) – it was my little design science lab where I tried different things. I painted it at least 3x and although I did not have my Mum’s sewing skills – I was good at sewing straight lines and made drapes and bedding (without patterns).
- In my early 20s I owned an antiques store with a friend, was a sale rep for a wholesale framed art company supplying furniture stores, a sales associate in a high end gift store, a sales associate in a high end tableware store, was a manager at Bombay Company’s largest volume store in Canada (at the time), even tho a manager, I was still doing most of the displays.
- 1998-2002 Film Industry – Art Depart set decorating – for commercials and music videos – the beginning of my self employment/contract work. Sourcing product, finding suppliers, buying for and dressing sets, project managing jobs, budgets and crew – all very similar to what I am doing now but in a different sandbox.
- 2002-2006 created and ran a popular home accessory boutique in a historic fishing village called Haven Home. It was at this point I realized that I was actually offering decorating advice already as people brought in their cushions from home for me to select colour or wanted to know the paint colour I had on the walls… so I officially became Interior Decorator.
- As a Decorator the initial focus was colour consultation where I created my own 8″ x 11″ boards of colour samples that I still use to this day, over 10 years later. I also provided custom draperies and custom furniture as well as art and accessories. This progressed to design work both for renovations and new build consultation which progressed to my business becoming Design and Build where I offered project management of full gut renovations.
- As someone who has broad interests, I am always learning new information through attending events, courses, product knowledge and tradeshows.
which is essentially what I wish to achieve for my clients.